I feel like America has really been taking a hit in the media lately, and there is undoubtedly a ton of controversy swirling in the news right now. Since I’m currently sitting here wishing I was still on vacation in the States, I thought I would give our southern neighbours a little love and share the ten things that I love the most about coming to the USA.
- Bob Evans – I don’t know why, but I have a real love for this place. It’s real home-cooking, and is so comforting after a day of being on the road! When I was going to university in Kingston, there was a group of that would drive over the border to New York just to go to Bob Evans for breakfast. Seriously. I’m sure the border crossing guards had bets on when they would catch us with drugs, but it really was just a trip to Bob Evans.
- The little sticks of butter. It’s SO SMART.
- There are no words to describe my love for Target. Having Target briefly in Canada was a tease, and I miss it more than words can say. One of my first stops whenever I get to the States is to spend some quality time in Target. That bullseye just makes my heart go pitter patter. When I get to Target, it’s like I’ve been returned to my homeship.
- Buying liquor everywhere. There’s something so freeing about buying wine with your cereal, isn’t there? Even Costco – who doesn’t love wine and vodka at rock bottom prices?
- Along with the previous…the free flowing liquor. I mean, isn’t a place where you can get bottomless mimosas a wonderful place? (For those not familiar with Canada…this just doesn’t happen to your neighbours in the great white North. It’s actually not allowed…which is why Canada doesn’t have all-inclusives).
- $1.49 McDonalds for a ten pack of nuggets. Just being able to buy a 50 pack is amazeballs.
- Sheer variety of things. We stood in the cereal aisle for about ten minutes. Being able to buy a cinnamon-variety in every cereal type. You may not be able to buy ketchup or all-dressed chips (which are amazing, btw), there is a jaw-dropping amount of variety.
- Shake Shack – this is my newest obsession. It came highly recommended and it did not disappoint. I’m adding it to my list of regular US stops.
- Shopping: Dollar Tree, TJ Maxx, Macy’s, Dillard’s, Kohls… the unbelievable outlets…to all my US friends, I hope you know how lucky you are! I will be eternally jealous of both your budget and luxury shopping options.
- Warm weather options without leaving the country. I wish we had a Florida and Hawaii in Canada!
You must be logged in to post a comment.